Welcome to Westside Gardeners’ Club › Forums › Dig Some Dirt – KOCF Community Gardening Program › Food for Thought Recipes › Reply To: Food for Thought Recipes
Vietnamese Pickled Daikon Radishes and Carrots
2 carrots peeled
1 small daikon radish or ½ large daikon, peeled
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Shred, slice, or julienne the carrots and daikon.
2. Combine the carrots and daikon in a medium bowl and add the sugar, salt, and vinegar. Toss to mix well.
3. Let stand for about 30 minutes (or more) to soften the vegetables and infuse them with flavor before serving.
Use a mandolin to thinly slice the carrots and daikon. Alternatively, shred them using the large holes of a box grater, or cut them into matchstick pieces with a sharp knife.
2. These pickles are ready to eat after 30 minutes, but they are even better after they’ve sat for several hours or overnight.
3. Store the pickled vegetables in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.