Edie’s Lavender Cookies
Makes 3 dozen small cookies
• Pre-heat oven to 350° F
1/3 cup unsalted butter or butter substitute such as Smart Balance
½ cup white sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
• Cream the butter in a mixer. Add sugar, stirring until well blended. Add egg and extract, mix well.
1¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 ½ rounded teaspoons dried lavender flowers*, finely chopped
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
• In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, mixing well.
• Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, mixing until just well blended (do not over-mix).
• Pinch off small balls of cookie batter, place on cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with your thumb.
• Bake until just brown on the bottom and firm to the touch, about 10 minutes, or more.
• Cook on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
*Other herb suggestions (adjust amount to taste): dried leaves of lemon verbena, lemon balm, mints, pineapple sage.
Note: my niece, Christina, blends lavender flowers with the sugar in her shortbread recipe, using a blender or spice grinder. This is an easy way to incorporate lavender flowers in the recipe.