Welcome to Westside Gardeners’ Club › Forums › Dig Some Dirt – KOCF Community Gardening Program › Food for Thought Recipes › Reply To: Food for Thought Recipes
“A Great Way to Eat Your Greens” Pasta
an Edie favorite
½ – 2/3 lb. sweet Italian sausage, in bulk
1 bunch kale or other green leafy veggie
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 lb plum (Roma) tomatoes, peeled and diced, or 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1-2 teaspoons fennel seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
Dried pasta for two, such as farfalle or conchiglie
• Over medium heat, sauté the sausage, breaking it apart with a spatula into small pieces, until it is browned and the meat is well-cooked (no pink left). Drain off most of the fat that has been rendered from the sausage.
• Add chopped onion and fennel seeds, sautéing until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
• Rinse kale and strip leaves off the stems. Discard stems. Slice leaves into about 1 ½” pieces. Stir into sausage sauce. Cover and allow to steam until just limp, about 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente, drain, and put in warmed bowl. Add sauce, toss well, and serve.
- This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Edie Moro.